Friday, May 11, 2012

NSA's Rising Star


 NSA's Rising Star
By: Mattia Laudi, and Sam Puckhaber
Kali (Left), TT (Right)
National Sports Academy's own Kali Flanagan begins her decent to the top in only her sophomore year. Flanagan has made a verbal commitment to Boston College, and in her own words is “Super excited!”
Flanagan came to National Sports Academy last year as only a freshman, but demonstrated great potential. Coach Bill Ward had brought her here in mid-season of last year and decided she would be a great asset to the teams defensive lines. As it turns out Coach Ward had made a very wise decision.

As only a second year sophomore, Flanagan made a huge impact and became the teams captain for this year. This demonstrated her leadership qualities as well as a bubbly personality to keep the team spirits up. With leadership skills on and off the ice Flanagan had become a hot commodity, and was a great player to boot. And now the rest is history, as Boston College made an offer Flanagan didn't want to refuse.

Teammate Carina Randazzo had this to say about Captain Flanagan, “She was very approachable, and easy to talk to,” and continues to say, “It was nice to have someone to talk to if we needed it.”

Also teammate Maggie Cross has this to say, “Kali is one of the hardest working players I have ever played with, she plays with a determination exhibited by very few players and one hundred percent deserves to be where she is.”

Speaking with Kali Flanagan earlier this week she tells me, “I'm really happy with my decision,” and continues in saying, “I love the campus, and I wouldn't change my mind.”
Flanagan in action.
Of course verbal commitments are never set in stone, which means Flanagan can change her mind at any point until she signs her scholarship papers. Many people feel that verbal commitments mean next to nothing because everything can change with a couple words, but Flanagan thinks otherwise.
Flanagan says “I wouldn't take back my commitment, it's too important.” and says, “I do not see myself going back on my word.” When asked if she felt the coaches were worried about her leaving her commitment she says, “No, I feel they know I won't de-commit, I think they trust me with my decisions.”

When mentioned, we spoke about academics in comparison to NSA, and how the academics differ to see if she would be prepared. Flanagan responded in saying, “As long as I maintain my grades here and work hard, I feel I will be okay for my future academics.” but fires, “Academics here will however be an extreme difference from those of NSA. I'll have to work really hard, but I'm willing to do that.”

Action Shot
Some may think the extreme pressure of keeping up in school and staying on top of their athletics would be difficult, Flanagan had this to say to those who feel that way, “I don't feel pressure, I don't think I should.” and continues to say, “Although I understand those who feel pressure, I just know if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll be fine in the end.”

Kali Flanagan has an 89% grade point average, and started her hockey career at the tender age of three years old. Needless to say the pressure has been on her for a very long time, but deals with it with grace, and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment