Monday, March 26, 2012

MY 2011-2012 Sliding Season

MY 2011-2012 Season

By Aidan Kelly



Flashbacks of iced walls, hospital beds and bloody helmets ran through my head. The season was starting and I questioned my readiness. We had three weeks in Lake Placid and then it was time to race. Not just any race, but a Junior World Cup; My FIRST Junior world cup race.

Last season was rattled with crashes broken bones and scars, but this season felt different. I was a different person from those experiences and I was more ready than ever to show my coaches (and the world) that I was not going down that easy. Park City, Utah was the setting. Technically my home track, though I had only been there once. Being one of the fastest tracks in the world it scared me. Not a bad scared, but a conscious scared. I knew what I had to do and how to do it. It was just a matter of timing. When race day #1 came I had never felt more nervousness and confidence at one time, I was 23rd off the handles that day. I took my first run feeling prepared and it wasn’t perfect. That was alright though, I didn’t want or need perfect I just needed to race. My second run was better. I was happy with it and I finished 17th. Obviously not a medal contender but just outside the top 15 was alright with me. Race day #2 came around and again I was ready. 17th off the handles this day I was happy with my draw. Again my run wasn’t perfect but I was happy with it. I made it to the bottom and got to take another run. My second run was the best I’d ever had I was ecstatic, crossed the finish line in 13th place and packed my stuff with a smile on my face.

Heading to Calgary the following day I hopped on a plane and was happy to see park city in the back window. 17th and 13th were better than I had ever expected and It was only going to get better, I could see. Training in Calgary was amazing and to this day it  remains my favorite track. High winds shook our race but accelerated me to the finish line in 8th place. After this race several sliders headed to Igls Austria for more world cups but I jumped a plane back to Lake Placid for a few days at school and relaxed runs down the Lake Placid track.

After spending Christmas at home I was ready for more sliding. I left for Winterberg, Germany in late January with high hopes of more top ten finishes. The German sliders showed that home track advantage means more that we think as I finished 21st. Discouraged I went to Oberhof, Germany. The next stop on our Junior World Cup Tour where, I again wanted that top ten spot but fell short. I finished 19th despite my nest efforts and started mentally preparing myself for Junior Worlds.

With two weeks of training ahead of me I got my act together and cleaned up my mindset. I felt decently ready for this race, about as much as I was ready for the Park City race. But despite my consistently clean runs I fell short in the race finishing 16th. Many would say that 16th in the world is something to be proud of but I hadn’t reached my goal and I was not content with my finish. And so we headed back to Park City for Junior Nationals. Racing against just USA is much less stressful than the whole world.

Day 1 ended with Ty Andersen in first Tucker West in second and Myself taking third. Day 2 however, took a bit of a different turn with Tucker west in First, myself in second and Ty Andersen in third. Being my best results of the year I was stoked. Getting 3rd overall along with my two other medals from the weekend was amazing, but I was just happy to almost be done racing.

Back in Placid again Senior Nationals was coming up, with fast training times on my home track I raced my way to 5th place against the seniors. Just a thousandth ahead of 6th and about a hundredth behind 4th I was hoping to improve on that for day 2. I finished 4th on day 2 and 4th overall, just missing a podium spot my race season had ended. And it was about time!

Overall I was very happy with my season as it was tons better than my last season, having avoided broken bones and extreme crashes at all costs I had made It through with enough hardware to keep a smile on my face and new friendships to last a life time I wouldn’t change my season for anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment