Wednesday, January 25, 2012

College Placement


Hard Choices
By: Sam Puckhaber
  -----High school seniors have the most stress, dealing with academics if they play sports must keep up with athletics, and of course college is on the list. College placement, something each high school senior must attempt to figure out.


Emily Laurenzi(Senior)
Choosing the right college is for most seniors difficult. College placement is a place for seniors to find what their path is for the next four years of their life. This is the first big decision for us, so each senior is obligated to spend a lot of time focussing on which school they want to spend the next four years in. Some students have already decided and gotten into the school in which they will be attending after graduation.

Kelsey Lynch(Senior)
For National Sports Academy student-athletes Emily Laurenzi and Kelsey Lynch their choice was simple. Laurenzi had this to say, “It wasn't hard for me to choose Penn State.” and continues in saying “I liked it because it's close to home and they were the ones to offer me and the big campus was a plus.” Kelsey Lynch also added in “It wasn't a hard choice for me either, I'm not going to Penn State but I did commit to Salve Regina.” When I asked Lynch why it was so easy for her to choose Salve she answered with this, “It was a great fit for me academically and the campus is really nice, plus I'll get to play hockey.” Although Lynch hasn't received her acceptance letter it's pretty much a given that she will be getting accepted soon.

Maggie Cross(Senior)
Also student-athlete of National Sports Academy, Maggie Cross have a different perspective on their new path for the next four years. Cross saying that “Sports make it really hard for me to choose a college,” and continuing in saying “I don't even know where I'm going just yet.” As if school and hockey weren't hard enough for 17 year old Cross, she is also the President of the student body, along with being President of the Environmental Club. But she says its not hard, saying “It's all about time management,” but adding in later, “but it can be stressful at times.”

Along with Maggie Cross, Martha Smith is also in agreement that figuring out what her life will be for the next four years is difficult. Smith quoted by saying “Yeah it is hard, and the hardest thing is I have conflicting desires,” she moved forward in saying “I want to play hockey, but the school I want to go to doesn't have it, that's hard for me.” Smith also revealing that she believes everything is just harder when you go to a sports academy, and are trying to figure out a college that has both hockey and a school she likes. Although she isn't going to let hockey choose the school for her, saying “I love hockey, but academics and a college I like is important.”
Martha Smith(Senior)

College placement, an exciting and nerve racking part of the high school experience, where each senior is trying hard to figure out their next part in life. While some find it simple to move on, others just aren't quite there yet. For student-athletes Emily Laurenzi and Kelsey Lynch they know what they want for the next four years, but others like Maggie Cross and Martha Smith are just not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment