Monday, October 11, 2010

New Faculty Profile: Beatty Schlueter

"Breaking into the Pack…’’
By: Frédérick Hallé

… Is what Beatty Schlueter said when I asked her what scares her the most at National Sports academy. 


Last Friday, in NSA’s dining room, I was meeting with her. Beatty is the new women’s Alpine coach and also the new art teacher. 


"Coming to NSA is pretty different and unique then other programs, its a whole packages," Schlueter said.  "The location and the school has a lot to offer to young student athletes,’’ she continued.

Although Schlueter looked at me as if she was unsure of what to say when I asked her to tell me everything about herself in 60 seconds, she was so verbose that I ended up running out of lead in my pencil. She talked about her family, her experiences in alpine skiing, being at NSA and even more.  


She grew up in Michigan with her younger brother and sister, and both of her parents, who she still loves to go visit when she can. 


When I ask her "Why did you come to La"… she didn’t let me finish my sentence. 


"Because Lake Placid has a lot to offer," she said.  "And with exceptional athletic installations like Whiteface Mountain it was hard to resist/" She moved to Lake Placid in August with her dog.


Talking to her I could tell she doesn't regret moving. Seeing her smile as she talked about Placid, said a lot.

"Without being selfish," she said, "I can make this place better and stronger." 


I asked her what she could bring to NSA’s ski team. Even though her confidence may sound cocky, I can confirm to you that she is not. She is a woman who simply wants to help student athletes reach their goals and become better  people and citizens. 

Before moving to the east for college, she skied for the Rocky Central section, which was Michigan and the western United States.She studied for four years at Colby Sawyer College and earned her Bachelor's Degree. She skied for the alpine team, she made a good impact on the team making the USCSA National’s all for years and she was the captain her senior year.

Schlueter's first accomplishment was to make the JIII junior Olympics from Michigan. She was one of the four kids that made it.

"Jim Williams," she laughed after I asked her who scared her the most at NSA.

After getting injured in college, she asked herself , "Do I go and get a real job or I go coaching," because she loved skiing so much and she wanted to stay in her sports, she decided to become a coach. She started to coach at Green Mountain Valley School, then went on to Suicide Six and Okemo Mountain School and here she is at National Sports Academy.

Being also an art teacher, she has one class of 3D with one student in it and one class of 2D with 5 students in it. "Art is a great thing to have,"she reported. She likes both coaching and teaching but she feels like she’s splitting her time between two jobs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment